// Well, that was an interesting year. We’re not out of the woods yet, but we’re here, and thank goodness for WA…
No doubt it’s been a weird year. Yet, we’ve seen capital raisings, new launches, exits and all that good stuff.
During 2020 we…
- published 264 articles (+13% on 2019);
- signed up 12 Curtin Uni journo & media students to do the writing;
- built our Fri 3pm email subscribers to over 3,250 (+63%);
- published 19 podcast episodes – including a live show – with 6,300 listens (over 330/show, +7%);
- interviewed a female founder on at least half our podcasts;
- reached record traffic: 51K unique visitors to the site (+34% on 2019);
- signed up six full sponsors – thank you JTSI, RSM, the City of Perth and Dinner Twist for coming on board with Curtin Uni and Spacecubed;
- sponsored the Freo Startup Fest, the main West Tech Fest event, a particpant on Curtin Ignition, various hackathons, and other events;
… and we promoted, supported and celebrated the great things happening out there in WA startupland.
Go #WA #Startups!
It’s not about us, it’s about you
We continue to be inspired by what you are all doing. Yes you.
It takes a certain type of person to take on all that risk, heartache, set backs and sleepless nights. Especially this year.
We can say it no better than the Chair of Startup WA, Tom Goerke, who said:
“If WA was a company, relying on one product and one customer for 47% of its income, then the board would be asking questions!”Tom Goerke
Startups create jobs. Well paid jobs. Wealth. Community. Help pay for households, schooling, food, entertainment, travel… they give people purpose. Help diversify our one trick pony of a state economy.
80% of all new jobs created over the past decade has been from the small business and startup sector. Scalable businesses pull in staff and create wealth at a rate never seen before on the planet.
Take a Break!
If you can take some time off with family and friends, get to the beach, watch an outdoor movie, drink some good wine, sit back and relax, sleep, laugh, go for a walk or a run, travel … whatever gets you away, please do it.
You know the support of friends and family, supporters and investors, believers is critical to keeping strong and your ultimate success.
Come back recharged. We’ll be back in the New Year too.
Happy festive season one and all. 🎅🎄🎁😊🌞 😎 ⛱
PHOTO: The Startup News team: (from the left) Patrick, Melissa, Henry, Anneke, Sebastian, Liam, Kyla, Lucas, Taysha, Loke, Nick, Sarah & Charlie.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to Startup News in 2020.