// Applications for the annual $20,000 grant for innovative WA companies are now open, with submissions due on 25th March.
The WA state Government has opened applications for the 2020 round of the Innovation Vouchers Program.
Applications for the 2020-21 round of funding will close at 11am on the 25th March 2020, so you have just over 4 weeks to get your submission together in what has become a popular – and highly competitive – program.
For more information see the New Industries website.
Principally for small to medium enterprises, the up to $20,000 grant is designed to help give SMEs a boost – be it to access services and knowledge, or giving you the chance to prototype your idea; perhaps even getting that patent done.
Some recent grantees
Protective Innovations, a Malaga-based protective equipment firm that received a voucher in 2019, used its grant to develop a marketing strategy for its innovative products.
It has since grown from 3 to 10 employees and will this year showcase its goods at ConExpo in Las Vegas in March.
Jandakot-based Electro.Aero, a 2018 IVP participant, used its $20,000 voucher to develop a propulsion system for sustainable aviation, Prototype ElectrDuct115.
The firm has now submitted a patent for the system, secured several domestic and international customers, $500,000 in angel investment, and grown from 6 to 9 employees.
“The WA Government recognises that SMEs have great ideas but that it can be difficult taking these ideas and turning them into sustainable business opportunities with real commercial outcomes,” said Minister for Innovation & ICT, Dave Kelly.
“The Innovation Vouchers Program is designed to help innovators overcome some of those hurdles on the path to commercialisation.
“Last year, 15 vouchers were awarded to WA SMEs across a wide variety of sectors to give them the leg-up they need to turn their great ideas into products that make money and create WA jobs.Innovation Minister Dave Kelly
“It’s just one of several programs funded by the McGowan Government’s $16.7 million New Industries Fund that is supporting new and emerging businesses in WA to create jobs and diversify the economy.”
The grant is primarily for R&D, product development, and/or help with IP, and commercialisation support services.
The highly competitive program requires recipients to meet a number of requirements including a net cash co-investment of 20:80. In other words, you have to contribute at least 20% of the funding provided by the State Government through this program; so $5K of you want the full $20K grant.
Applications are made online at Innovation Vouchers Website.
With the focus on developing the WA innovation, criteria includes criteria such as: the business has been registered and based in WA for three years, and you are developing the idea or innovation here in WA.
Last years applicants include:
- AMLab Pty Ltd – Machine vision for fully automated ship-to-shore container cranes
- Ceratonia Pty Ltd – Carob – new food products from drought tolerant tree crop
- Element8 – Green Screen – Redesign of traditional screen panels
- Fledge Technology Pty Ltd – OriOn Sunshade Trial
- GET Trakka Pty Ltd – MILL Trakka: Real time comminution data delivering production & cost efficiencies
- HP LAT Pty Ltd – High Performance Low Abrasion Tray (HP LAT) for mining trucks
- JKP Marine Pty Ltd – Aboriginal Heritage sacred site monitoring
- Money School Pty Ltd – Online, independent financial independence calculation and tracking tool for adults
- Power Research and Development Pty Ltd – High voltage battery
- Protective Innovations Pty Ltd – Go To Market (commercialisation) strategy for electrical safety technology
- Rex Ortho Pty Ltd – REX Screw Technology
- Selvax Pty Ltd – Self-vaccine immunotherapy for cancer
- Shadrach Burnover Protection Pty Ltd – Shadrach Burnover Protection
- Virtual Guest – Virtual Guest Platform
- Wild West Holdings Pty Ltd T/As Louvre Shade – Louvre shade concept
Innovation Vouchers Program:
For more, read the ‘Guidelines for Applicants (pdf)‘
For all enquiries regarding IVP, please contact Annabel Price at email@example.com